Our Senior Essay Contest was established in 1966 to provide our graduating students an opportunity to engage in meaningful discussion on current events. This contest is open to any senior currently enrolled in an Oklahoma Public School. Local 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners in the Men’s and Women’s Division will receive a certificate. State winners receive a cash prize and the funds are for the winners to spend as they wish! Each year our Education Committee spends a great deal of time perusing topics to choose one they believe will challenge our seniors to think about the impacts of culture on our every day lives. This is another way for our local lodges to honor graduating seniors and engage with the local community while steadfastly to their commitment to education.
The 2021 SENIOR ESSAY topic is:
Oklahoma recently passed a law requiring Oklahoma high school students to correctly answer 60 out of 100 questions found on the US Naturalization test before receiving their diploma. The law also mandates students to study the US Constitution, Declaration of Independence, and the Emancipation Proclamation. Do you think politicians should be required to pass a basic US Civics test to hold office? Why or why not?
- Any high school senior attending an Oklahoma public school may enter. Only one entry per student is allowed.
- Essays must be submitted online, in doc, pdf or google doc. No other forms of submission will be accepted.
- The deadline for submission is October 31, 2021 and the form for submission is linked below.
- Essays must be the student’s original work.
- The essay must be 1000-1250 and included a bibliography page listing all referenced materials (books, articles, internet sources, etc) in a generally accepted format. It must be attached to the same document.
- The Bibliography does not count towards your word count. Essays that don’t meet the 1000-1250 word count will be disqualified.
- Essays must be submitted in English, double spaced, with a non-script font size 12. Handwritten essays will not be accepted.
- Essays will be professionally judged based on adherence to the assigned topic, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, and neatness.
- Entries become the property of the Masonic Charity Foundation of Oklahoma and will not be returned.
If you need more copies of the poster please click here
If your students are using school issued devices (ie Chromebooks) and are experiencing trouble uploading documents or accessing the form please contact that office at either firstname.lastname@example.org or (405) 348-7500