Who can participate in the Senior Essay Contest? Any High School Senior enrolled in an Oklahoma Public School.
What are the essay requirements?
- Essay should address the following topic: “Throughout United States history, individuals other than presidents have played significant roles that lead to changes in the nation’s economy, government, or society. Select one important individual, other than a president, and the area in which he/she tried to bring about change. Describe the changes that came about as a result of his/her action.”
- A title page affixed to the front of the essay must include the following: student full name and mailing address, gender, school name and mailing address, name of supervising teacher, and name of sponsoring Masonic lodge (listed on program flyer).
- Essay must include a bibliography or sources/citations page prepared in accordance with current academic custom.
- Between 1,000 and 1,250 words
- Typed in English (handwritten essays will be disqualified)
- Font should be non-script (Times or Arial is acceptable), with font size 12 or 14
- Essay must be signed and dated by the student on the bottom right-hand corner of the bibliography/citations page as attestation that the essay represents work done by only the student.
- A strict no-tolerance plagiarism policy applies; essays not representing the student’s original work will be disqualified.
- Only one essay may be submitted per student.
- Entries become the property of the Masonic Fraternity of Oklahoma and cannot be returned.
- Essays may be mailed to: Masonic Charity Foundation, PO Box 2406, Edmond, OK 73083
- Entries must be postmarked no later than October 31, 2017.
How are essays judged? Essays are judged based on adherence to essay topic, organization of material, interest, originality, spelling, grammar, punctuation, and neatness. Winners may be notified by letter to the sponsoring lodge, school, and/or student. Statewide winner listings are posted on this webpage (see link below.)
ESSAY CONTEST PRIZES:
Local 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners will be selected from each participating school and will be recognized with a certificate.
Statewide winners will receive cash prizes. Ten statewide winners are selected from the men’s division, and ten statewide winners are selected from the women’s division. Cash prizes for statewide winners are as follows: 1st place $2,000, 2nd place $1,500, 3rd place $1,000, 4th place $750, 5th place $500, 6th place $400, 7th place $300, 8th place $200, 9th place $100, 10th place $100. PLEASE NOTE: To ensure our compliance with IRS reporting requirements, prize monies will only be distributed after the recipient submits a valid W-9 to our office.
Statewide 1st place winners will also be honored with a $5,000 grant to their school which may be used by the school for any academic purpose.
Questions? Please feel free to call our office at 405-348-7500 for more information.
Congratulations to the statewide winners of the 2017-2018 Senior Essay Contest: Senior Essay Winners 2017-2018